Director of Finance & Controller
Juvena Therapeutics, Inc. is a regenerative medicine biotech startup inviting applicants for Senior Director / Director of Finance & Controller who are excited to join a company focused on the discovery and validation of novel disease-modifying biologics that promote tissue regeneration to treat chronic and age-related diseases.
Reporting to the Chief Business and Operating Officer, this role is a broad multi-functional finance role that offers the chance to build the company’s accounting and finance operations from the ground up, and will be key to Juvena’s successful growth. They will support budgeting, forecasting, and long-range planning and will help develop and optimize the company’s accounting, reporting, analytics, and financial planning platform. The position will also be responsible for providing strategic financial analysis and delivering the business insights that drive optimized financial decision-making.
The position is full-time starting as early as possible. This is the perfect opportunity for someone interested in the exciting and fast-paced environment of a startup company and looking to make a difference in human health and healthspan.
*Title commensurate with experience
Juvena Therapeutics is a venture backed biotechnology startup discovering and developing disease-modifying biologics by leveraging their computationally-driven discovery platform to rapidly identify and validate secreted proteins with regenerative potential for multiple rare and chronic diseases.
At Juvena Therapeutics, we are on a mission to discover and develop biologics for rare and chronic degenerative diseases by mapping secreted proteins to unmet medical needs through a machine learning (ML)-enhanced platform. Juvena’s approach integrates proteomics, transcriptomics and imaging with phenotypic human in vitro disease model screening and extensive preclinical validation to mine the therapeutic potential of human stem cell secretomes as a rich source of new medicines that promote tissue regeneration and repair. We are advancing lead drug candidates for muscular dystrophies, atrophy, injury, and osteopathies, and establishing new programs targeting tissue-specific degenerative diseases across multiple therapeutic areas. Since our launch in mid-2018, Juvena has discovered and validated several hits for neuromuscular, skeletal, and metabolic diseases. Juvena’ preclinical programs are supported by funding from the National Institute of Health (NIH) and the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine (CIRM). Juvena is advancing a lead program for Myotonic Dystrophy Type 1, a rare autosomal dominant, progressive muscle-wasting disease.
At Juvena we embrace a diversity of backgrounds, experience and approaches that all combine to lead us to world-class scientific results in an inclusive environment.
Position Requirements and Duties
- Financial Planning and Analysis
- Lead and manage the development of financial models/budgets, including long-range planning.
- Collaborate with Business Development to build financial models and presentations to support the evaluation of strategic alternatives at the executive and Board level
- Perform ad-hoc business and strategic analysis as needed
- Lead procurement of key equipment and services Juvena is in need of, including securing multiple quotes and options before selecting the best deals and working with purchasing department to secure
- Controlling, Accounting and Reporting
- Oversee all general accounting functions, including accurate and timely monthly and year-end close processes.
- Manage the CPA, accounting, operations and HR consultant, vendor and verious software support in daily book-keeping, and end of month reconciliations, and accounting functions
- Lead the preparation and review of internal and external financial statements
- Develop and maintain internal controls appropriate for the company
- Research and implement appropriate GAAP and statutory accounting guidance
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial materials, including key performance indicators, for the Executive Leadership and Board of Directors
- Maintain company’s stock records, including capitalization table, stock options, warrants, and stock-based compensation
- Lead the company’s activities with external auditors
- Manage the submission of income, employment, property, franchise, and any other required tax returns
- Manage the company’s commercial banking relationships
- Select, implement and maintain the company’s accounting and other financial systems
- As we grow, internalize functions by hiring and developing a team to meet increasing needs and requirements
- Contribute to building a positive, team-oriented biotech culture
- Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not exhaustive, list of the expected initial duties associated with the position. The role will evolve over time and changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs.
This position is a great fit if you have/are:
- BA or BS degree. MBA and/or CPA strongly preferred
- 8+ years of related experience in a broad range of finance functions incl. FP&A, treasury, accounting, audit and tax
- Biotech or pharma experience a strong plus
- Experience in an entrepreneurial, venture-backed environment preferred
- Can thrive in fast-paced and ambiguous environments
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively (team player/ability to work cross-functionally)
- Impeccable organization, attention to detail, and communication skills
- Experience with project reporting, operational accounting and reporting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong influencing and strategic thinking skills
- Passionate about our goal of bringing new medicines to patients in need
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary, annual bonus and stock options
- Partial 401K matching for full-time employees
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Flexible time off
To apply for this position please complete the form below. Once the form is complete, email your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com with the title of the position as the subject line.