Computational Biologist – Drug Discovery & Development (Senior*)
Juvena Therapeutics, Inc. is a regenerative medicine biotech startup inviting applicants for Computational Biologist – Drug Discovery & Development who are excited to work as a core member of a team focused on the discovery and validation of novel candidate biologics for tissue regeneration and repair, including for inducing phenotypes such as increased stem cell activity, mitochondrial function, viability, or reducing inflammation and ROS formation, etc. Senior title possible commensurate with experience.
Reporting to the Head of Data Science, the computational biologist will be responsible for driving lead biologics and biomarker discovery and prioritization from proteomics and multi-omics experiments, extracting meaningful biological insights from large, complex omics datasets (such as interaction networks, molecular single cell resolution studies, expression profiling), and integrating the results into Juvena Therapeutics’ growing in-house knowledge ecosystem. Deep expertise in MS-based proteomics analysis is considered equally valuable to extensive multiomics analysis experience for drug/biomarker discovery and development.
The (senior) computational biologist will develop and apply creative, leading-edge approaches in bioinformatics, biostatistics, and machine-learning to identify novel biologics and enhance the efficiency of lead therapeutic drug screening and design. They will also support all stages of drug development that require proteomics applications and/or computational biology/bioinformatics.
The position is full-time starting as early as possible. This is the perfect opportunity for someone interested in the exciting and fast-paced environment of a biotech startup company looking to make a difference in human health and healthspan.
Juvena Therapeutics is a venture backed biotechnology startup discovering and developing disease-modifying biologics by leveraging their computationally-driven discovery platform to rapidly identify and validate secreted proteins with regenerative potential for multiple rare and chronic diseases.
At Juvena Therapeutics, we are on a mission to discover and develop biologics for rare and chronic degenerative diseases by mapping secreted proteins to unmet medical needs through a machine learning (ML)-enhanced platform. Juvena’s approach integrates proteomics, transcriptomics and imaging with phenotypic human in vitro disease model screening and extensive preclinical validation to mine the therapeutic potential of human stem cell secretomes as a rich source of new medicines that promote tissue regeneration and repair. We are advancing lead drug candidates for muscular dystrophies, atrophy, injury, and osteopathies, and establishing new programs targeting tissue-specific degenerative diseases across multiple therapeutic areas. Since our launch in mid-2018, Juvena has discovered and validated several hits for neuromuscular, skeletal, and metabolic diseases. Juvena’ preclinical programs are supported by funding from the National Institute of Health (NIH) and the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine (CIRM). Juvena is advancing a lead program for Myotonic Dystrophy Type 1, a rare autosomal dominant, progressive muscle-wasting disease.
At Juvena we embrace a diversity of backgrounds, experience and approaches that all combine to lead us to world-class scientific results in an inclusive environment.
Position Location and work permit requirement
- 640 Galveston Dr. Redwood City, 64063
- Candidate must be legally authorized to work in the US.
- This position is required to be on-site for 2-3 days/week on average.
Position Requirements and Duties
- Bring to the Discovery team your expertise in integrated analysis of multiomics and interaction network data for computational drug & biomarker discovery and development, OR/AND MS-based proteomics analysis such as design and analysis of data-dependent acquisition, data-independent acquisition and isobaric labeling proteomics experiments.
- Develop and apply analysis methods, visualizations, and predictive models to enhance the efficiency of candidate biologics discovery and screening for increased stem cell activity.
- Work cross-functionally to create the best possible pipeline of candidate therapeutics and the tools to scale out efficiently across multiple indications.
- Improve efficiency by automating data extractions, analyses, and reporting;
- Other scientific tasks as required.
- Actively survey the forefront of published methods and resources for your field and internalize key aspects to the company
This position is a great fit if you have/are:
- Ph.D. (or M.S. + equiv experience) in bioinformatics, biology, biochemistry or analytical chemistry with 1+ years relevant industry experience in bioinformatics including multi-omics and single-cell analyses for drug & biomarker discovery
- Demonstrated mastery of bioinformatics/proteomics/multi-omics analysis with publications, co-inventorships, or other impressive achievements
- Highly communicative. Effective communicator verbally, in writing, and in presentations to both expert and novice audiences
- Self-Starter – Can work independently and/or collaboratively with scientists to make appropriate and timely decisions to meet deadlines on experiments and projects
- Strong foundational knowledge and experience with biological data, particularly with methods generating large scale omics data sets (e.g. epigenomics, genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics)
- Demonstrated expertise in an analysis and automation language (e.g. Python, R)
- Demonstrated expertise in cloud computing systems – experience with Google Cloud and AWS resources is a plus
- Broad knowledge of mass spectrometry-based protein quantification and characterization strategies & analysis tools is a plus
- Familiarity with pharmaceutical R&D is a plus
- Startup R&D experience is a plus
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary, annual bonus, partial 401K matching and stock options
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance
- Paid vacation and holidays
To apply for this position please complete the form below. Once the form is complete, email your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the position as the subject line.