Associate Scientist/Scientist -Protein Science
Juvena Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated protein scientist to join us as our new Scientist of Protein Science, who will be an integral part of our drug discovery platform expansion to include new Juvena Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated scientist to join our growing Protein Science group, who will be an integral part of our drug discovery platform expansion to include new molecular scaffolds such as antibodies and other biologics. We are searching for an individual who is excited to work as a scientist in an intimate and small team focused on the discovery, preclinical validation, and clinical translation of novel protein therapeutics for chronic and rare degenerative diseases. The Protein Science team is responsible for the lead identification, selection and optimization of therapeutic drug candidates with immense impact on cell and tissue regeneration. The ideal candidate will have expertise in protein expression and purification as well as protein characterization assays. Reporting to the Director of Protein Science, the scientist will be a key part in growing our competencies and throughput in this team.
Juvena Therapeutics is on a mission to discover and develop biologics for rare and chronic degenerative diseases by mining the secretomes of human pluripotent stem cells through a machine learning (ML)-enhanced platform. Juvena’s approach integrates proteomics, transcriptomics and imaging with phenotypic human in vitro disease model screening and extensive preclinical validation to mine stem cell secretomes as a rich source of new medicines for chronic and rare diseases. We are advancing leads for muscular dystrophies, muscle atrophy, injury, osteopathies, and new programs targeting additional degenerative diseases affecting other human organs. Since our launch in mid-2018, Juvena has discovered and validated 22 hits for neuromuscular, skeletal, and metabolic diseases. Juvena is advancing a lead program for Myotonic Dystrophy Type 1, a rare autosomal dominant, progressive muscle-wasting disease.
Juvena Therapeutics has secured >$47M in venture capital, NIH, and CIRM funding to develop their top lead to a clinical-stage investigational new drug, to build their stem cell secretome database, and to leverage their discovery platform to rapidly identify and validate novel protein-based drug candidates for multiple rare and chronic diseases across inflammatory, cardiometabolic and hepatic therapeutic areas. At Juvena we embrace a diversity of backgrounds, experience and approaches that all combine to lead us to world-class scientific results in an inclusive environment.
- Develop and optimize upstream and downstream methods, including construct design, cell culture, protein expression, purification, and biophysical characterization
- Support early discovery and preclinical development by providing protein and analytical expertise to advance pipeline projects
- Optimize the activity, stability, and pharmacokinetics of identified protein candidates by protein engineering to reach a desired target product profile
- Present at group, company, and external meetings/conferences
- Contribute to a dynamic and exciting culture that embraces teamwork and innovation
- Maintain flexibility in supporting multiple discovery and preclinical projects as the company grows
- PhD or MS in Biochemistry, Structure Biology or other relevant Life Science with 0-5 years of experience (or equivalent industrial experience). Title and compensation will be commensurate with experience
- Demonstrated ability to design constructs and express proteins in mammalian cells and bacteria
- Extensive experience in protein purification using chromatography (e.g. affinity, IEX, SEC) by batch method and FPLC (AKTA) as well as protein analytical assays (e.g. SDS-PAGE, Western, HPLC)
- Strong desire and initiative to understand the underlying technology and help propose new ideas and techniques to discover next-generation of protein-based therapeutics with unique functionalities
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, team player and ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment
- Previous experience with optimizing mammalian expression systems
- Experience with protein variant structure-activity relationships
- Familiar with one or more structural modeling programs such as Rosetta, MOE, Schrodinger, etc
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and annual bonus and stock options
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance
- Paid vacation and holidays
- More benefits coming soon (including initiation of 401(k) matching program)
To apply for this position please complete the form below. Once the form is complete, email your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com with the title of the position as the subject line.